Lots of you often email/tweet or even ask in person how I organise my work/life/blog time and make space for everything. I could spout off a list of small things that help slightly until I’m blue in the face, but today I wanted to let you in on a few honest secrets of mine that are the reason I am able to pack so much in…
1) My flat is ALWAYS a mess. You’ve seen it in my vlogs (heck, lots of you say it makes you feel better about yourself – who am I to take that away from you?), I’m not a naturally neat person anyway, but I haven’t taken out the recycling or done the hoovering in a longer amount of time than I’d care to admit. Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?
2) I hardly ever see my friends. I have three best friends, two live in different cities and one works night shifts, so normally our schedules collide once in a blue moon. There’s very little popping round for a cuppa in our world.
3) My family and boyfriend are incredibly supportive of the fact that I have a never ending to-do list. In all honesty I don’t always get to spend as much time with them as I’d like to and have cut down a little on certain aspects of my work to try and make more time for them. My gravestone ain’t gonna read “made a darn good blog posts and YouTube videos” and mean anything.
4) I very rarely watch TV – making exceptions for Game Of Thrones and the Eastenders Ominbus once a week. If I put the TV on things don’t get done, so I don’t actually let myself watch it most days. No matter how much Gossip Girl on Netflix is calling.
5) I don’t get a lot of sleep. I’ve had days where I’ve rocked up to work feeling like I’ve been hit by a truck. Sadly it’s not due to one too many amaretto and cokes. I’ll say up late writing or editing if something needs to be done and if I have to get up in the night to check that my video hasn’t failed then i’ll do it. The aim is to upload my videos during the day/evening, but often I just don’t have time. All I can do is order a chip sandwich and a large coffee the next morning and put my game face on.
6) I don’t switch off. I don’t think I could relax if I tried. The thing is, I love blogging. This blog isn’t really a beauty blog anymore, it’s about my life and everything I like to put in it. I like to document my favourite bits and it’s like a diary (just not a secret one). If I went on holiday I’d love to be able to vlog and blog whilst I’m away. It’s just something I love doing – and I think that’s one of the reasons why points 1, 2, 4 and 5 (3 is not okay) often happen.
The point of this post isn’t a sob story, no one ever got anywhere through having a moan on the internet. I just wanted to let others who struggle to fit everything know that that is okay. There is no magical way of working full time and blogging full time without a fair bit of sacrifice, hard work and determination on your part (and often those around you too).
In all honesty, over the past year I’ve worked really hard on Hello October to post as often as I can (until recently it’s been at least 5/6 days a week) but not being able to blog every day isn’t the end of the world. If you’re struggling to fit everything in in your life at the moment (whether it’s blog related or not), just keep in mind that although it often looks like the people around you are coping and doing it all, chances are there are other areas of their life that are not perfect. And that’s fine, because no one is.